All weddings have one thing in common—music! Of course every wedding is special and unique, however each wedding requires music to be played either before, during, after, or throughout the wedding ceremony. If you’re planning a traditional Catholic wedding ceremony, then you’ll need a thorough list of appropriate church wedding songs.
Since Catholic wedding ceremonies are usually full church services, you will need a Cantor to guide your wedding guests in traditional responses.
Wedding Ceremony Songs:
Preludes: Choose which of the following songs you’d like to play during the anticipation of the bride and groom’s entrance.
- Ave Maria by Bach
- He Shall Feed His Flock by Handel
- For the Beauty of the Earth by Conrad Kocher
- Nearer My God to Thee by Mason
- Let There Be Peace On Earth by Jackson/Miller
- Angels Watching by The O’Neill Brothers
Wedding Processional Songs: Choose from the following for your processional song list.
- Canon in F by The O’Neill Brothers
- Reminiscent Joy by The O’Neill Brothers
- Quaker Hymne (Lord of the Dance)
- Morning Has Broken by Shaw
- Hymne by Vangelis
- Canon in D Major (from A Day to Remember I) by Pachelbel
Interlude Songs: The following songs are ideal for any portion of your Catholic wedding ceremony. Some of the options below are based on Bible readings.
- Amazing Grace
- Be Not Afraid by Dufford S.J.
- How Beautiful by Twila Paris
- I Can Only Imagine by Mercyme
- I Will Be Here by Steven Curtis Chapman
- The Lord’s Prayer by Warner
- On Eagle’s Wings by Joncas
- Let Us Break Bread Together
- Friends by Smith
- Peace I Leave With You by Conry, OCP
- The Water is Wide (The Gift of Love)
- Turn, Turn, Turn by Pete Seeger
- The Prayer by Sager/Foster
Recessional Songs: Choose from the following songs for the portion of your ceremony when the bride, groom, and wedding party leave the altar and exit the church.
- Joy by Winston
- Ode to Joy by Beethoven
- Ashokan Farewell by Ungar
- Rondeau by Mouret
- The Dance of Youth by The O’Neill Brothers
- Trumpet Tune by Purcell
Postlude Songs: The Postlude songs are played after the wedding party has exited and the guests make their way out of the church. You are welcome to choose from the list above or ask your church for suggestions.
You are not limited to the songs listed above for your Catholic wedding ceremony. There are so many factors at play when deciding what your final song list will be, for example, if your church has a song list that they suggest, or if you have relatives or friends who are involved in the church and would like to provide you with your ceremony music. Depending on the type of church you attend, you may also be able to suggest more modern songs for your ceremony. As long as you go over the song list with your church officials and are able to get approval, then you’ll be good to go!