by Alison Rowe, Jewelry and Bridal Expert
When it comes down to engagement rings, celebrities can afford the best of the best, so what exactly are they choosing? Whether they opt for a vintage-inspired design with a white diamond like Nicole Richie or a more modern style with a yellow diamond like Kristen Bell, there is an overarching trend: a platinum setting.
The great news is that we can all have that same quality platinum setting on our everyday budget. Engagement rings set in platinum start at approximately $2,000 from designers like Hearts on Fire and Jean Dousset, so the main variable is the size of your center stone.
Here are some tips on how you can get your favorite celeb engagement ring style in your price range:
- First of all, remember that smaller diamonds are your friend, too. Whether it’s a halo around the center stone, or a pavé setting, these smaller, more economical stones closely fit together give your ring a ‘big diamond’ look. Stars like Katherine Heigl and Gwenyth Paltrow framed their center stone with pavé diamonds, complete with a pavé band. Also, instead of a diamond, you can opt for a colored center gemstone like a sapphire or citrine. Not only will it show your individuality, but they are far less expensive than a diamond…just ask Penélope Cruz!
- Go vintage! Vintage rings have a sweet and elegant style – they reflect utmost sophistication, but without pretention. Both Katie Holmes and Ali Landry chose a vintage-inspired setting for their engagement rings, but you can do one better – try incorporating heirloom pieces into your ring’s design to make that milestone purchase as sentimental as it is smart.
- Last but not least, possibly one of the most important things to remember is that it’s not all about the diamond. Obviously that’s generally the main focus when choosing a ring, but what’s holding it is just as valuable. Choosing a metal that’s going to stand up to the rigors of everyday life, while retaining its structure and beauty, is a very cost-effective, long-term option. Platinum won’t tarnish, is very durable, and doesn’t ever lose metal. Leading ladies Fergie and Beyoncé both opted for platinum to make sure their rings could withstand life on – and off – the stage.
- Caring for Wedding & Engagement Rings
- Vintage Wedding Gowns
- What Satin & Sheer Wedding Dresses Say About You