Many people tend to think that a beach wedding automatically means they can dress down. Unfortunately, this is not the case. You may not need to dress as fancily as if you were going to a wedding at a high-end hotel, but you still want to look like you are going to a special occasion. Here are a few rules to guide your choice on beach wedding attire:
Go with vibrant colors. Bright reds, purples, corals, and blues are great for beach weddings. More muted colors such as beiges, silvers, mauves blacks and browns may look great for an indoor wedding, but beach weddings demand a bit more color.
When in doubt, got with a floral dress. This does not mean that you can throw on a cotton halter dress that could be mistaken for a beach cover-up. A floral print dress in a nice fabric is both comfortable and elegant. However, make sure that it is long enough (or that you have something underneath) to account for windy days.
For men's beach wedding attire, linen is a great option. Linen pants, shirts, and jackets are great because they are comfortable (without looking too casual).
When it comes to beach wedding shoes, you need them to be practical yet nice. Rubber flip-flops should never be worn. A flat leather sandal is ideal. Do not wear stilettos, or you will draw too much attention to yourself as you try to make your way through the sand.
While most brides typically choose formal and elegant wedding gowns made with thick fabrics, that may not be the best choice for your beach wedding attire. Since you’ll be outside in the sun, and possibly the humidity, depending on how tropical your beach wedding setting is, a lighter, more flowing, and maybe even less formal wedding gown is worth exploring.
A less weighty, more flowy, and slightly casual wedding gown might be the best option for your beach wedding and beach wedding reception because of the following:
- The heat and possible humidity could be motivation enough to choose something on the lighter side. Lighter fabrics will allow your body to move and breath. The last thing you’ll want to deal with on your wedding day is sweat marks, or feeling suffocated by your dress.
- A flowing dress will look better amongst the unpredictable and un-tamed elements like the wind, mist, or sun. A looser, more carefree wedding dress looks best when juxtaposed with the natural backdrop.
- A stiff dress against the backdrop of the ocean meeting the horizon isn’t the best look for your wedding photographs. The way the wind hits lighter dresses is more aesthetically pleasing.
- The great aspect of choosing a flowing, light dress is that even if you do get cold, you could easily find an elegant shawl to throw over your bare shoulders. Just as long as your warming accessory matches well with your gown then you’re set.
- It’ll be easier for you to find a less formal beach wedding dress that’s on the inexpensive side, versus a formal dress. The more fabric, embellishments, and overall manpower needed to create a dress, the more expensive it will be.
The reason flowing beach wedding dresses are lighter is due to the material. When you begin your wedding dress shopping, keep an eye out for the following materials:
- Duchess Satin
Stay away from polyester or satin blends, because those materials prevent your skin from breathing. Look for cotton blends, which have a small percentage of spandex.
Not only will the fabric help your body breath throughout your beach wedding, but specific styles will help with that as well. Strapless wedding dresses are a popular beach wedding dress style. Or, you could opt for slinky and sultry spaghetti straps, or even a one-shouldered style dress. There are countless styles that allow your upper body to breath, so the last thing you’ll have to worry about is running out of options.
The length will also play a major role in how comfortable and beach appropriate your wedding gown is. For example, a tea, ankle, or even calf length dress is not only unique, but also ideal for hot weather. Any of these lengths are especially ideal for a wedding that takes place on the sand because you won’t have to worry about your dress getting dirty.